Sunday, April 21, 2013

Julie Mehretu Layers







For this project we were supposed to make a piece based on adding layers. 
Here is my list of layers:



1.     I had about seven kids help me out. They sat, jumped, rolled around, and some even spit up a little bit.
2.     I applied layers of water with a sponge brush.
3.     I got newspaper wet and tried to rub and imprint onto my paper with my hands.
4.     I found some maps on the Internet and traced them onto my paper using graphite paper.
5.     I left my paper on my kitchen table for a few days and just piled stuff on top of it when I needed to use the space.
6.     I added different lengths of white artist tape sporadically.
7.     I drizzled Elmer’s glue all over my paper.
8.     Same with hot glue.
9.     I used black finger nail polish to paint over some of the areas I had glued at random.
10. Same with the silver nail polish to give it some dimension.
11. I rolled seven dice and wherever they landed I made a mark with a sharpie.
12.  I connected those seven dots with a ruler like a constellation. I repeated this several times.
13. I put some black paint on a damp paper towel and threw it at my paper.
14. I watered down gray paint and smeared it on my paper with a wet paper towel.
15. I took graphite colored paint and just squeezed the bottle in a circular motion all over my paper. It was close to being gone so it also splattered quite a bit.
16. I hot glued black crayons to my paper and melted them with a hair dryer.
17. I smeared black charcoal all over my paper.
18. I peeled up some of the tape.
19. I sprayed dark spray paint all over.
20. I sprayed silver spray paint all over.
21. I sprayed dark spray paint over that again.
22. I peeled up some of the hot glue.
23. I hot glued white crayons on my paper and melted them with a hair dryer.
24. I dripped white paint down my paper.




This project was inspired by Julie Mehretu. She is an artist best known for her densely-layered abstract paintings and prints.We watcher her PBS art:21 episode. It was pretty interesting. 
Here are some examples of her work:


No comments:

Post a Comment